From start to finish this was a superb three-day meeting of young people who know that current scholarship/publishing/university_practice has so many injustices and so much waste that we cannot go on this way.
Must be brief – airport. Search for OpenCon2014 for reports and tweets and pictures. In brief:
- 80 young passionate people from round the globe (only 5% of applicants could be selected)
- sensational vision and planning from SPARC , RightToResearch, OA Button, etc.
- Brillaint and inspiring speakers. A+ to everyone.
- Many people already suffering under the present system.
- Culminating in a superbly organized day of Advocacy actually on Capitol Hill, Washington. Huge insights into how to get political support and change.
I use the word “Revolution”. It needn’t be bloody. I’ll write more…